Join our Team
We're Hiring! Farm Staff - 2023 Season
Located an hour north-east of Toronto, Foggy River Farm is an ecologically-minded medicinal & culinary herb farm that is committed to restoring the connection between people and the ecosystems they inhabit. We sell loose-leaf herbal teas, culinary herbs, and botanical skincare products.
We are looking for the right people to join our farming crew this year.
We are seeking individuals with an interest in working outdoors, small-scale agriculture, or herbalism, and who are ready to embrace the rigours of the farming lifestyle, as well as the repetition that often accompanies many of our farm tasks.
During your time with us you will gain experience:
- Learning about the amazing herbs that grow in the Ontario climate
- Prepping garden beds
- Planting herbs, perennial greens, and trees
- Weeding, harvesting/wildcrafting, and processing (garbling) herbs
- Working in a greenhouse
- Packing herbal teas and other products
- Possibly maintaining the farm property, including permaculture earthworks, woodworking, forestry work, landscaping, assisting with livestock (chickens, horses)
Availability between May - September 2023
To be eligible you must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or have refugee protection status
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
We seek an individual who:
- Is honest, hard-working and reliable
- Is able to follow direction well and who can work efficiently with others and independently
- Is physically fit (ability to lift 30lb crates and complete repetitive tasks on hands and knees) and comfortable with outdoor summer work and, at times challenging weather conditions
- Is self-reliant for transportation to and from the farm
- Likes to have fun, appreciates a good joke, and wants to soak up beautiful sights, sounds, scents that are abundant in farm life!
Prior manual labour, gardening, farming, or construction experience is an asset, but not required to apply.
SCHEDULE: Staff will be expected to work approximately 30 hours/week, with the specific days & hours per day to be determined with each candidate.
WAGE: $16/hr + staff discount on farm products
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and brief email answering the following four questions:
- What excites you about this position?
- Describe a personal or work/career/education-related goal you are working towards.
- When does your availability start & end? Or is it open-ended?
- Do you have any known restrictions on which days of the week you are available.
Email application to Kate and Phil at: email@example.com using subject line “2023 Farm Staff Application”.